Page last updated on Sunday 30 August 2009
The Gryphon Theatre
Stagecraft welcomes you to the Gryphon Theatre. It is situated at 22 Ghuznee Street on the corner of Egmont Street, between Cuba and Taranaki Streets in Wellington City (see map opposite).
This is a small, intimate venue with up to 84 seats and lighting and sound facilities. The auditorium is flexible and can be arranged in the typical end-stage style, in the round or variations of these. There is a large foyer, kitchen, toilets, and dressing rooms for 15-20 people, and also a loading bay (shared with the rest of the building) for unloading directly into the theatre.
As the Gryphon Theatre is on the ground floor of a residential building, various body corporate regulations apply. Good relations with our neighbours are important and some clauses are not negotiable, for example, noise limits and curfew times (ie, no one on the premises after 12 midnight). The entire complex is a smokefree zone.
We hope that the Information Pack (see below) will help you decide whether or not the Gryphon Theatre is the appropriate place for your production. If you do use the Gryphon Theatre, the Information Pack becomes part of your contract.
- productions involving the use of fire (this includes candles) or water or other dangerous or hazardous products will need the specific written agreement of Stagecraft. Use of either without the proper agreement will entitle Stagecraft to cancel your contract immediately.
- there must be no alterations of any kind to existing walls, floors, rostra or other property of Stagecraft
- the premises are not to be used for sleeping and no one is to stay overnight
- the premises are not to be used for any purpose other than that for which they are hired.
At the end of the information pack is a booking form and production information required to process your application to hire the Gryphon Theatre. Please provide all information requested.
The Gryphon Theatre information pack is available online as detailed below.
Information pack contents
- Stagecraft Theatre - page 1
- Parking - page 1
- Publicity - page 1
- Cost - page 2
- Lost and found - page 2
- Insurance - page 3
- Licences - page 3
- Liability - page 4
- Bar - page 4
- Set, props and costumes - page 5
- Technical information - page 6
- Stage/auditorium - page 6
- Loading bay - page 6
- Equipment available - page 7
- Positions and responsibilities - page 8
- Packing in and out - page 9
- Fire regulations and evacuation plan - page 10
- Body corporate requirements - page 11
- Map showing the location of the Gryphon Theatre (JPG, 82 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- The Gryphon logo
- Floor plan (JPG, 479 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Seating plan (JPG, 377 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Profile (JPG, 296 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Ceiling (JPG, 375 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Measurements (JPG, 380 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Hire agreement
- Pack-out checklist
- Booking form (Word document, 9 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Production information form (Word document, 46 kb, opens in a new browser window)
- Lighting plan (PowerPoint file, 240 kb - opens in a new browser window)
Availability of the Gryphon Theatre
The Gryphon is available for the following hire periods (current at 7 December 2008).
- 7 to 11 December 2009
- 13 December 2009 onwards
The Gryphon Theatre
PO Box 9810
Manager - Leigh Cain
Phone (04) 387 8400 (please do not call this number to book tickets)